Thank you for entrusting me to photograph and handle your baby. Not only do I have two children myself but I handle several babies each month and I am very careful and patient with them. I look forward to working with you to make our session as successful as possible.
• Please give your baby a full feeding right before leaving home for your appointment. This will ensure your baby has a full tummy during the session, but time is allowed for you to feed your baby again if they need it. For nursing moms I provide a Boppy pillow and a comfortable sofa to sit in.
• Please bring your baby to the session either in just a diaper, covered with a blanket or wearing clothing that easily zips or snaps off. This will help your baby stay asleep when undressing for the session.
• Newborn sessions are typically around 2 hours long. Sometimes we finish earlier and sometimes run over. It all depends how your baby is feeling that day. I recommend not scheduling any other appointments immediately after your session.
• I keep the temperature in the studio fairly warm as I find this greatly helps to keep the baby comfortable. I keep a fan in the studio that you are welcome to use, but please keep it pointed away from the baby and on low speed.
• If possible, try to keep your baby awake for 1-2 hours before the session.
• If you are nursing, please do not drink any caffeinated beverages the day of the session.
• Please bring a pacifier as they help to get babies to sleep and soothe them. If you have one (even if your child won’t really take it) please bring it to the session as it may help me. I always pull the pacifier out before taking photos. If you do not plan on using pacifiers please be assured that babies don’t get attached to them after our session and they really do help calm a fussy baby.
• If you would like family photos, we will take those at the start of the session so please have hair and make-up already done when you arrive. If you would like to dress at the studio, that is fine. I recommend white or a mix of white/brown/beige. Long sleeve or 3/4 sleeve is usually best or choose cami/tank for mom and tshirt or shirtless for dad if you would like a more intimate look. Also please ensure you have fingernails and facial hair etc. groomed. These do show up in photos, particularly larger print sizes. Please try and iron your clothes and use a lint roller, as wrinkles and lint tend to stand out in pictures. You do not need to bring clothing for the baby as I have wraps I use for swaddling. For younger siblings, a casual all white or white with blue jeans is best. Avoid sweaters or other bulky clothing.
• If you have other children that you want included in the photographs, I recommend having your spouse, grandparent, babysitter, etc. come in a separate car to take the child(ren) home after we have finished all the shots of the siblings/family. If this is not possible to arrange, please bring plenty of entertainment to help your child(ren) stay quiet and occupied.